Japan tourism bounces back with 21 million inbound travellers forecast in 2023
Lonely Planet is excited that travel to Japan has seen a resurgence since the country reopened to international visitors in October 2022.
- Japan expects to welcome 21 million travellers in total this year (Japan Tourist Bureau)
- In January 2023 alone, Japan welcomed 1.5 million travellers (Japan National Tourist Organization)
- Tourism has bounced back faster than expected, and the weakness of the Japanese yen is making it an attractive time for international travellers to visit (NY Times)
From October 2022 to February 2023, Lonely Planet's Japan 17th Edition has been the #1 best-selling guide to the country according to Nielsen Bookscan in Australia, UK and USA.
Lonely Planet's traditional Japan guidebook has long been a trusted travel companion for visitors to the country. In fact, our first Japan guidebook was published in 1982! Now, after two years of some of the world’s tightest COVID-19 border controls- Japan is once again open to international tourism, and Lonely Planet’s expert travel content will equip them with all they require to plan the trip of their dreams.
Introducing Lonely Planet's new Experience series
In 2022, we launched our new Experience guidebook series which features an all-new format designed to help travellers discover unforgettable experiences and create their own unique trip. Based on extensive consumer research, these guides have been tailored for the digitally savvy travellers of today, combining advice from local experts with handy trip building tools and QR codes that unlock additional online content.
Meet one of our Local Experts
Winnie Tan is a contributing writer for both Experience Japan and Experience Tokyo. Watch as she shares some of her favourite experiences, from what to eat to the best outdoor adventures.
For retailers that would like to embed this trailer on their website or online store product pages, please copy and paste this YouTube embed code.
To view and download an Order Form for our suite of Japan products, click your region below.
To find out more about Lonely Planet’s suite of Japan guidebooks, and to ensure your range is complete- see below.
Which Lonely Planet book is right for your customer?
Bluespine Country & City Guides:
For travellers seeking the most comprehensive information, these guides will equip you to explore your destination at a deeper level
- Top experience collections
- Regional itineraries recommended by experts (from a couple of days to multi-week)
- 3D illustrations and guided tours of key sights
- Extensive coverage of history and culture
- Detailed maps throughout - includes walking maps and a pull-out planning map
Experience Country & City Guides:
For travellers that want to design a trip that feels unique, these guides uncover exciting new ways to explore iconic destinations
- Led by locals experts that reveal their favourite experiences and hidden gems
- Personal itinerary building tools
- Seasonal planning calendars
- QR codes unlock additional online content
- Detailed maps throughout - includes trip builders and a pull-out planning map
For travellers on a short trip that want to make the most of their time, these handy-sized guides cover a city or small region’s best experiences
• Special features cover the most popular sights
• Content organised by neighbourhood
• Recommended 1, 2, 3 and 4-day itineraries
• Guided walking tours
• Detailed maps throughout - includes walking maps and a pull-out planning map
Also Available Japan titles:
To download Lonely Planet Experience Japan promotional assets click here, to download Lonely Planet Japan assets click here
*Best-selling guide to Japan. Source: Nielsen Bookscan, Australia, UK and USA, January 2023.